INTERA Incorporated is looking to fill an entry- to mid-level position for a Quantitative Hydrogeologist in our Perth, Australia, office. Our team in Perth primarily provides mining-related services, focusing on hydrogeology, geochemistry, engineering, and modeling, especially for decision support. In the future, our Australia office plans to work and collaborate in the environmental and water resources markets, including contaminated sites, groundwater management and allocation, and numerical modeling.
This is an excellent opportunity to make a positive impact on INTERA’s growing presence in Australia while learning from our talented senior professionals.
Our purpose is Innovation and stewardship for a sustainable tomorrow. Help us make a difference today.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide support for general hydrogeologic analysis under the direction of INTERA’s senior modelers/hydrogeologists. This includes
- Compiling, synthesizing, and analyzing data to develop conceptual and numerical models of groundwater flow systems
- Creating inputs and evaluating outputs from groundwater models
- Carrying out quantitative hydrogeologic analyses using simple models
- Designing, conducting, and analyzing aquifer pumping tests
- Evaluating data using a variety of techniques such as GIS, geostatistics, statistics, or time-series analysis
- Applying the aforementioned skills to project problems will include mine dewatering optimization, pore pressure modeling, and assessing the potential impacts of mine closure and operation
- Practicing quality assurance/quality control procedures for modeling, report preparation, and technical presentations to clients, regulators, and other interested parties
- BS/BA in Geosciences, Engineering, or a closely related field that includes training in partial differential calculus and numerical solution methods
- Solid understanding of hydrogeological principles and practices
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming (R, C++, etc.) with some exposure to and/or willingness to learn Python
- MS in Hydrogeology, Civil Engineering, or a similar field with an emphasis on groundwater hydrology and/or numerical modeling
- 2-10 years of applicable experience with a primary emphasis on groundwater modeling
- Hands-on experience developing, implementing, and documenting numerical flow and transport models
- Python coding experience
- Experience with applying geochemistry to groundwater and surface water problems
Founded in 1974, INTERA has grown into an international geosciences and engineering consulting firm that helps clients make informed business decisions, mitigate risk, and drive optimal outcomes in a multitude of industries. Building and sustaining a strong company culture is at the heart of INTERA’s practice of good stewardship. We strive to foster an environment where people love the work that they do and the place that they work because we believe that our employees are our most valuable asset.
Many of our employees have spent 10 to 25 years at INTERA. We love what we do, and it shows.